Copyright 2017 | Downtown Special Improvement District | Bowling Green, OH
163 South Main Street
The Hankey Block was built in 1892 by John R. Hankey and possibly Louis Sanglier. Hankey typifies the entrepreneur of the oil boom days. He had interest in the local planning mill, has and oil enterprises, real estate, a store, glassworks, and a foundry. The Hankey Block is a three-story buff brick structure with stone and classical trim. Classical tin work embellishes the roofline with 114 panels indented with an egg and dark design above a projecting cornice. Name and date plaques are centered just below this window. The first floor has been greatly altered with a mansard-like roof, and all but the entrances have been sealed with solid panels.